Dental implants are a great alternative for natural teeth replacement. Strong and stable, they can restore a lost tooth and can look, feel, fit and function like a natural tooth. This procedure has become a popular option in dental reconstruction, with over a half a million implants placed every year in the U.S.
Advantages of dental implants include:
- Dental implants are built to last. They provide an ideal long-term and cost-effective option when in need of dental replacement.
- A secure, comfortable fit that looks and feels natural, without the slipping of normal dentures
- Implants protect your jawbones and help preserve your natural bone against further health issues
- Dental implants allow you to maintain the natural shape of your face and smile
- Unlike removable dentures, dental implants are placed in your mouth and do not need to be removed for maintenance
- No other adjacent teeth have to be ground down or disturbed to hold an implant in place
- You can talk and eat normally without the inconvenience
- You will no longer feel self-conscious about missing teeth
The implant process:
First, your jawbone area just below your gums is fitted with metal posts. Once in position, the dental implants are mounted securely on these posts, giving you the look and feel of a brand-new tooth! Not only will your self-esteem improve, but your oral health will as well.
Contact Helena Road Dental Care at 205-784-4558 to learn more about our dental implant options.
Other Things You Should Know
Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants? With the exception of growing children, dental implants are the solution of choice for people of all ages, even those with the following health concerns:
Existing Medical Conditions: If you can have routine dental treatment, you can generally have an implant placed. While precautions are advisable for certain conditions, patients with such chronic diseases as high blood pressure and diabetes are usually successful candidates for dental implant treatment. Dental implants also offer a solution to
Gum Disease or Problem Teeth: Research studies have concluded that implants do not lead to a high risk of gum disease or root canal issues. Also, because implants are made of titanium and other materials that are compatible with the human body, they provide a stimulus that keeps the jawbone from deteriorating.
Currently Wearing Partials or Dentures: Implants can replace removable bridges or dentures, or they can be used to stabilize and secure the denture, making it much more comfortable.
Smokers: Although smoking significantly lowers the success rate of implants, it doesn’t eliminate the possibility of getting them. Cessation of smoking is imperative if you are to have implants placed. You must quit smoking for good if you are to be a successful implant candidate.
Bone Loss: Bone loss is not uncommon for people who have lost teeth or had periodontal disease. If you have significant bone loss your dentist will refer you to an Oral and maxillofacial surgeon or Periodontist, who has been trained and is experienced in grafting bone to safely and permanently secure the implant.
Generally, implant tooth replacement in children is usually deferred until their jaw growth is complete. There are, however, some instances when a dental implant may be appropriate, such as when it is part of the child’s orthodontic treatment plan. If this happens, your dentist or orthodontist can guide you in this instance.
For more information on how dental implants can improve your smile call Helena Road Dental Care today at 205-784-4558 to schedule your dental implant consultation.